Friday 13 February 2015

Book Review - Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins ★★★★★

For my first review I picked "Anna and the French Kiss" written by Stephanie Perkins not only because I read it a few days ago but because it´s a great and lovely book. 

The story revolves around Anna, a teenage girl from Atlanta. For her senior year at high school, her parents decide to send her to an American boarding school in Paris. Anna doesn´t like to spend a year away from her best friend, Bridgette, and her could-be-boyfriend, Toph, but there is nothing she could do about it.

"Who sends their kids to boarding school? It´s so Hogwarts. Only mine doesn´t have cute boy wizards or magic candy or flying lessons."
In Paris she meets a group of students, which she quickly becomes friends with. One of them is St. Clair and he is marvellous: funny, smart and has a sexy English accent. The only Problem about him is: He has a girlfriend. And this little fact creates a lot of tension between the two of them. 

"Why do I care so much about him, and why do I wish I didn´t? How can one person make me so confused all of the time?"
"French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused."

Anna and the French Kiss is a simple romance that doesn´t fail to surprise. One thing that makes this book so fantastic is the slow build-up to first friendship and later romance. It has everything that constitutes a young adult contemporary. I´d totally recommend this book, even for people who usually don´t like to read romantic books.

Rating:
★★★★★